GOVERNMENT OF SRI LANKA
MINISTRY OF COOPERATIVES AND INTERNAL TRADE
CONSUMER AFFAIRS AUTHORITY
Expression of Interest for the Implementation of a Technology based Consumer AND DOMESTIC MARKET Protection Project
Scope of the Project
The Consumer Affairs Authority has decided to implement a technology based consumer protection project in order to ensure consumer safety and to safeguard the authentic manufacturers from counterfeits coming to the market. It is necessary to ensure that genuine products are being received by consumers through the marking of each locally produced or imported product. In addition implementation of this project must comprise advance track and trace technology which will provide the necessary evidence for consumer action against unfair and illegal trade practices.
The Consumer Affairs Authority is inviting Expressions of Interest from suitably qualified suppliers with proven experience in the implementation of a turnkey solution including (as a minimum) but not limited to the following:
(1) Security Stamps: The secure solution has to be designed on the basis of highly secure stamps. These stamps will have to be composed of material and information security layers, which would provide consumers, investigation officers of the CAA, producers, importers, wholesalers, distributors and retailers with the means of conducting effective product authentication. Secure stamps shall be uniquely identifiable by an invisible machine readable code and shall be printed with non-commercially available secure inks.
(2) CAA Database and Inline Production Monitoring: Each secure stamp applied on the product shall be linked to the CAA data management system (” Database”). In case of automated high volume production the secure stamps shall be applied and authenticated during product manufacturing without disrupting established production processes giving the CAA near real time visibility of each manufactured product. The Database has to be installed in a secure government site and equipped with the necessary systems to collect, store, track and trace information pertaining to each and every product. This Database shall allow CAA to monitor individual stamps and identify incoherencies in their usage. It shall provide services and centralised data storage for the system which is to include stamp coding and delivery, production monitoring, field inspections and reporting functionalities. The Database shall be accessible for the authorized users through secured web interfaces for system operations and reporting activities. Consumers shall also be able to verify and trace product related information via a dedicated website connected to the Database.
(3) Secure Hand-Held Inspection Devices: CAA investigation officers shall be equipped with secure hand-held devices allowing immediate product authentication through embedded material and information based security features of the secure stamps. The device shall communicate with the CAA database via a wireless mobile network which retrieves and traces all information associated with each inspected product.
Eligible Suppliers having a proven track record of successful implementation of similar projects are invited to submit their Expressions of Interest including the following documents:
(1) Name, address and legal status of supplier.
(2) Preliminary solution proposal based on scope of project outlined above.
(3) Self Declaration certifying that Supplier is not a manufacturer, importer, distributer or wholesaler of any fast moving consumer goods.
(4) Self Declaration with supporting evidence certifying that Supplier has a) at least 5 (five) years of continuous experience in operating integrated traceability and secure product marking systems with web based monitoring system for national governments b) minimum of 5 (five) contracts with national governments in the last 10 (ten) years with each contract covering a minimum volume of 500 million products annually c) at least 2 (two) reference letters from other national governments for similar operational projects.
(5) Copies of certifications in security, information handling and best in class management through proof of the Certification ISO 9001, Certification ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001 or equivalent.
(6) Documentary evidence that Supplier and/or the Group of companies the Supplier belongs to a) holds in assets more than 5 billion LKR, thus demonstrating the required financial capability to undertake all development and implementation costs for the proposed project b) has an annual turnover of over 1 Billion LKR for each of the last 3 (three) consecutive years thus demonstrating required recurring cashflow for operation of the proposed project.
The EOI document as outlined above should be submitted in a sealed envelope clearly marked "Expression of Interest” addressed to
Consumer Affairs Authority
No 27, Vauxhall Street
Deadline for submission of EOI: 12:00 noon; local time on Monday 9th of December 2013
Applications not received within the abovementioned deadline shall not be accepted for evaluation irrespective of circumstances. All expenses required for preparation and submission of the response to this EOI and provision of any additional information shall be entirely incurred and borne by the applicant. This EOI does not entail any commitment on the part of the CAA, either financial or otherwise. CAA reserves the right to accept or reject any or all EOI without incurring any obligation to inform the affected applicant(s) of the grounds/reasons.